From the Porch of Clemson House

Post by Clemson Montana Summer Program student Trisha Markus

As I sit here on the enclosed porch of the Clemson House at High Meadow’s Ranch I listen to the songs of the birds. Mostly Killdeer fussing over their newly hatched chicks. It is hard to believe that we have hit the half way mark already and we only have ten days left in Montana. In the time that I have been here I have seen and experienced so much that it is hard to put it into words. Being here has also given me time to think and reflect about not only what we might expect for tomorrow, but also thoughts of returning to classes in August, grad school, what to do with my degree, and the usual boyfriend, friends, and family.

I have also had time to read. My book of choice (and a requirement for the course) is Breaking Clean by Judy Blunt. She talks about growing up on a ranch near the Missouri River Breaks south of Malta, MT. Blunt also titled her book appropriately: ‘Breaking clean’ of the ranch life. I broke clean as well, but not in the same sense of leaving a ranch. I broke clean of following the same patterns into poverty as my siblings have followed behind my mom and step-dad. I have broken the pattern of having children young and settling for minimum wage jobs that will never support a family. Of the 5 children my mother birthed, none of us graduated high school. I got my GED in 2008 when I was 21. And while I was working at Lowe’s, I decided the retail life was not what I wanted. I wanted an education and a job that I loved. So I went to Greenville Tech then got higher aspirations to go to a four year college. Here I am, a Clemson student. This summer course is my third semester with Clemson and I am still amazed that I am here. I may never truly leave the poverty gap but I am ok with that. The education that I am seeking is my way of breaking from the emptiness I would have felt if I would have had children young and had settled with working at Lowes. I am able to sit her now and make my own connection to this beautiful landscape.

Judy Blunt has also given me a look into a rancher’s life. A life much more different than what is depicted in movies. Reading her book and also learning about rangeland management from Dr. Lascano, has given me insight on a ranchers roll here. The homesteaders came here looking for a new life. A life with meaning built with hard work and family. Just like I strive for a life with meaning through hard work and education. They did not know they were damaging the land they fell in love with and what has become their livelihood. The homesteader’s children and grandchildren witnessed the changes in regulations that restrict their day to day practices due to the unseen damage they have caused.

The rancher only sees the green he creates by planting crested wheat grass and riding the pasture of plants that are not suitable for his cattle. The cattle are fat, healthy and producing strong calves that will be fat and healthy like their parents. He does not see the erosion around the cottonwoods, exposing their roots, or the pollution in the waters the cattle drink and soak in. The people still murder prairie dogs through poison and guns. They are still changing the landscape by not doing prescribed burns in ponderosa pine stands creating an even more dangerous fire hazard with thickening stands ready to be lit by a lightning strike. Ranchers have been forcing the land to accept them.

I can understand rebelling against rules, especially when the rules do not apply to everyone. Judy Blunt experienced and rebelled against rules that were put only in place because she was a female; I have also rebelled against those same rules put in place by my parents. The ranchers are wanting to rebel against the regulations that are put in place on the leased BLM land. They are wanting to be treated fairly. The American Prairie Reserve (APR) is fighting to have restrictions lifted on BLM land for them and them alone. Having the restrictions lifted will give the American bison on their land more room to roam. The ranchers feel that if the restrictions are lifted for the sake of bison, those same restrictions should be lifted for cattle. Fair treatment is all they want.



As I am sitting here thinking and writing, I can look out and see a pair of Canada geese and their goslings, baby desert cottontails, and ground squirrels running about. It is only the half way mark and we still have so much more to learn and experience. My hopes is to leave here with a new perspective on the human and wildlife connection and to understand the silent war going on in the west. To learn myself and to teach people how to better work with nature without further damaging it.


Popular Posts